- Brett Crossley got off to a great start at Canada’s National Under-17 Development Camp this week. The Mooseheads second round draft pick chipped in with an assist in his first game on Thursday night, but his Team Red fell 4-2 to Team Black. Fellow Moose prospect Barrett Dachyshyn skates in his first game on Friday night for Team Gold vs Team Green. You can watch the games live on this Hockey Canada link.
- Phoenix Youth Programs had another great turnout for their major fundraiser Champions for Change earlier this week at the Metro Centre. Mooseheads forwards Ryan Falkenham and Andrew Shewfelt joined former player Stephen MacAulay to sign some autographs for young fans prior to the event. Even Mac the mascot made an appearance! I think one of the highlights of the evening was hearing how Brad Marchand “strongly dislikes” Montreal’s Tomas Plekanec. A funny moment indeed.
- Zach Fucale will be taking part in Canada’s World Junior summer Development Camp over the next few days. The camp runs from Sunday until Friday in Montreal and Sherbrooke. Jonathan Drouin is not obliged to participate becuase it is his third invitation. The Czech Republic, Russia and Sweden will also participate in the camp. Halifax forward Timo Meier is also be suiting up for Switzerland with his country hosting an exhibition camp this weekend in Zuchwil.
- Nathan MacKinnon is back at home for the summer, and has had some high profile friends around for training sessions at the BMO Centre in Bedford. Sidney Crosby, John Tavares, Matt Duchene and David Clarkson are just some of the players who have made the trek to our area to work with strength and conditioning coach Andy O’Brien. Mooseheads broadcaster John Moore has a great video of the players taking time to sign autographs on his website sportsandmoore.com. Nate I think I see your black Jeep in the background!
- Don’t forget tickets are on sale now for the Preseason opener versus Saint John on Saturday August 16th at the Dartmouth Sportsplex. You can purchase your tickets at Antlers store in the Metro Centre when regular business hours resume on Tuesday morning.
- We are now less than two weeks away from training camp. Exciting times are on the horizon. Happy Natal Day weekend!